Saturday, February 12, 2011

I really feel sorry for my competitors...NOT!




Can you imagine Babe Ruth, Willie Mays, Willie McCovey, and Juan Marischal all in their prime and all on the same team? Would anyone have a chance against them? Wouldnt every other team be in awe? Wouldnt anyone with half a brain be intimidated? Well, it really wouldnt be fair, but then again, those who know me well know that I don't necessarily need the fight to be fair.

What if the companies that invented: the tape rule, the desk stapler, the portable belt sander, the random orbital sander, the utility knife, the cordless drill, the radial arm saw, or the first portable circular saw, coil fed nailers, all got togather. Well, thats exactly what happened when Stanley and Black and Decker became one and brought Stanley and Bostitch and Black and Decker and DeWalt and Porter-Cable brands all together.




I just got back from a week long sales meeting in Baltimore. It was the first for the new Stanley Black and Decker (SBD) Construction-Do-It-Youorself (CDIY) Division. Including IT, Marketing, Customer Service, and Sales, we were 1100 strong. We have #1 Market share in just about every category, it's pretty strong. We pretty much took over the Baltimore Hilton, directly across the street from Camden Yards...or whatever they call the place now. On the last night, they put on a "Brand" party in the Baltimore Convention Center. The pics above were the displays that absolutely blew my socks off (got a pair of Stanley work socks too!)

I can't imagine the knot in the stomach of my "competitors" when they realize what just ran them over, took the food off their table, and caused their children to be happy with a GED.
They should die like the swine that they are.
Wow, pretty heavy huh? Well, I do not apologize. I work in a very competitive world where you either eat or are ate. I like to eat, so I must engage my enemies daily. I know, I know, I am not freeing captives or saving lives...I am selling tools, the best in the world.
...but as Babe Ruth so eloquently put it, "The way a team plays as a whole determines its success. You may have the greatest bunch of individual stars in the world, but if they don't play together, the club won't be worth a dime."


No comments: